Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Tires!

This feeling has hit me before, also with Pirelli Diablos, but it is still a dramatic change. Going from the 7,000 mile old Bridgestone Battlaxs that came with the bike to new Pirellis was amazing.



I’ve never had faith in those old Bridgestones. The rear has come out from under me once and maybe I’m just gunshy. I was making a left out of a gas station, and accept the possibility that some spilled gas or oil could have gotten on the tire, or even (no, not that!) rider error. All I know is my rear tire lost traction and went down before I felt anything: one moment I was upright, the next I was sliding along the pavement. Since then I’ve gotten back on, ridden somewhat aggressively, and continue to enjoy the Gixxer. Just didn’t have any faith in the tires.



The Pirellis, on the other hand, stick to the asphalt like two round strips of Velcro rolling across pile. Leaving the parking lot without even warming them up was still a tremendous difference from the Bridgestones. I found myself taking the long way home, searching out turns, and enjoying more than just the straight line acceleration I’ve come to expect from the bike.

I also went from a 180 rear to a 190. Cornering felt a little different at first, but going from an old squared off rear to something new and shiny is going to feel different anyway. Not bad, just different.



Almost a month later, I still love these tires, searching out entrance/exit ramps and turns and any excuse to lean just a little.



Heather claims I’m giddy over these tires, and maybe I am. The difference is that dramatic. It’s worth it. I can’t praise Pirelli enough.



~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got pirelli on my ninja and their great tires.