Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Distance be damned, where do you ride?

I'm blessed enough to live in a state with amazing vistas and these absolutely sexy winding roads hidden in between. I guess you can find a road to ride just about anywhere you go, factoring in the weather and just where you're aiming to go.

With the directions we're aiming to take Ride & Rub, we're going to be exploring some of these rides in yet another effort to explore what we can do with our bikes, how far we want to go on them, and just where do we go?

Do you prefer to roll down the driveway and turn down the street just for a quick zoom to run errands? Or do you prefer to zip down the driveway to the nearest highway and cruise for several hours?

If the destination you have in mind is an hour away, do you ride? What factors in for you? Is it the weather? Is it the distance? Is it the clothes you're wearing?

I once said no to a potential six hour ride, round trip, because we were going to a funeral and I'd be wearing a dress and having to do my hair once we got there. This particular trip I asked if we could drive because we could spend the time talking along the way.

But I'm pretty open to taking off for a day trip to ride an hour or two away, stopping for lunch in a cafe or diner, wandering some antique stores or a museum, indulging in my penchant for taking pictures of old buildings and landscapes.

For some it's all about the ride, though, right? Take off for a destination 300 miles away just to stay in the saddle of a motorcycle and feel the wind rolling over your body for several hours.

I'm not brave enough to aim for an Iron Butt, just so you know. I'm more the type where the ride is the journey, not just the destination.

But if I've got somewhere in mind that I want to go, then it's a matter of figuring out just how long I/we want to ride to get there. Right?

~

No comments: