Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bike Week 2009

Rode down to Daytona from Jacksonville on the Gixxer, just a straight shot down 95 in an attempt to get to the Speedway before all the demo rides were filled. My two biggest priorities for the day were the Triumph Street Triple and Yamaha FZR 6. I love the Speed Triple but felt it was more power than I’d use on a daily basis, same as the Z1000 and for that matter the Gixxer. Fast bikes are great when you can go fast but just frustrating and borderline boring when forced to go slow, and for too long I haven’t been utilizing the Gixxer’s 750 cc’s for more than short bursts to get around traffic. So today’s goal was to look at a few smaller displacement sporty-ish bikes with an upright riding position, something Heather and I could swap back and forth comfortably.

I parked close to the Yamaha tent and walked up with helmet in hand. The demo bikes were parked on the service road, the tents were up, the tables and chairs set, but the merchandise was still being put out and there were the random preparation activities that hinted the factory area wasn’t ready. Just to be sure, I asked someone when the demo rides start. “Not until 8 tomorrow. Pretty much everybody is just setting up now.” I asked if helping set up would get me some seat time on a V-Max, but no such luck. I walked past the Suzuki, Honda, Buell, and Aprilia (Aprilia!!!) tents with as much luck. Honda brought a bunch of Civics to a motorcycle rally, which begs the questions who is in charge of marketing and shouldn’t they have unloaded a few motorcycles first.

Thank God for Kawasaki. They were open for business, had short lines, and let me sign up for two bikes at the same time, a Concours and a Versys.
While waiting for my appointment time with Kawi I walked to the other side of the Speedway and was able to sign up for a Triumph as well.

Killing time at a bike rally is no chore at all. I love people watching and motorcycle watching. I saw four generations of women walking together; great grandmother walking with a cane, grandmother, and mother pushing daughter in a stroller. The sight of those four wandering about highlighted how family friendly Bike Week can be.

Then I was reminded how family friendly it can not be. Walking past one of the many parking areas I heard a guy yell “Lord, I wanna see some TITTIES!!!” It was pretty loud, so of course I looked in the direction of the noise. My curiosity was rewarded with “Not yours, bro. No offense, but not yours.” We all had a good laugh. And I walked away wondering if I have man-boobs.

At the end of the ride home I tried a few new stretches Heather taught me. In addition to the usual (neck rotations, elongation stretch, hamstring stretch standing, calf stretch, etc.) I placed a doubled over pillow under my back and lay there for 30 seconds at a time. After three sets I switched to something I don’t know the name of but think of as a Double Diamond. Laying down flat on the floor put the soles of your feet together and raise them into the shape of a diamond, like a groin stretch seated except you’re laying down. This is supposed to release the muscles in the lower back. To help circulation I create a second diamond shape with my arms over my head, again for three sets, about 30 seconds each.

Really, I don’t have man-boobs. Really.

~

No comments: