Sunday, March 1, 2009

2009 Kawasaki Concours



I haven't really ever been interested in a touring bike. I'd ridden my father's Ultra Classic just to see what it was like, but will admit a tourer just didn't light my candle. However, a buddy who owns a Goldwing, a Concours, and a Busa had some good things to say about the sport tourer and peaked my interest enough to give it a try.

Though the Concours felt wide when I sat on it, my feet were able to sit flat on the ground, no tip toes or stretching. With my feet on the pegs it was a very comfortable, upright position. There's a world of features on this bike, including a push button adjustable wind screen, tire pressure indicator and gear indicator. All the gauges were within easy view without a lot of head movement. The luggage was large enough to fit a full face helmet, and removed from the bike in seconds. While looking at the big, chunky key and thinking how uncomfortable it would be to carry around in a pocket, the key fob was explained. The bike won't start unless the key fob is in close proximity, making the key more of an ignition switch that can be safely left on the bike. There's a center stand, but with the Concours' shaft drive eliminating the need to clean a chain the stand seems superfluous. I started to consider the possiblilities of a sportbike with luggage to use as a daily rider, room to carry paperwork & laptop and a few groceries on the way home. The windscreen could be completely lowered and the bags removed if desired. Hmmm...

Once we got on the road, though, my consideration started to wan. Calling it a sportbike with luggage is being a bit generous. It was quick, yes, sportier than I had expected but not hooligan quick. At slow speeds leaving the staging area the throttle seemed on/off, difficult to find and maintain my desired speed smoothly. The bike felt quite stable and at the stoplight I was able to play the balance game with neither foot touching the ground for several seconds.

After we got up to speed on the street the Concours was a joy to ride, very responsive and not shy of curves. I found myself doing 75 in 2nd gear but shifted up through the other four for puttering purposes. In the turns our group leader would hang back then slingshot forward, giving us a chance to lean in and play which the Concours does very well.

I may not want it for a daily rider but the Concours 14 was a lot of fun, and would make for a great bike on an extended commute or long trip. A friend tells me of a co-worker who rides his every day from Gainesville to Jacksonville, which is just the kind of commute we're talking about.

Now I'm kind of jealous.



~

1 comment:

Andrew Thomson said...

The ultimate bike. I love mine to bits - does everything well.